Nick & Liesl
Hailing from Sweden and Australia Nick & Liesl’s influences are wide; from Swedish folk to pop, blues and soul. Since forming in 2007 they have been busy. With three releases and countless kilometres behind them they have developed a captivating live sound with quality releases to match.
They have performed at close to 50 festivals including The National and Woodford Folk Festivals; completed five European tours and worked with some of Australia’s top musicians while producing their own records. Nick and Liesl mix infectious songwriting, guitar, piano and drums with beautiful voices and trademark harmonies. This grounded pair have been likened to The Waifs, Angus & Julia Stone, James Taylor and Katie Noonan.
Nick & Liesl – The Facts…
- Over the past five years have played close to 50 Festivals in Australia and Europe including The Woodford Folk Festival, The National Folk Festival, Reeperbahn Festival (Germany), Festival of the Sun, Peats Ridge Festival, Caloundra Music Festival and coming up – the Blue Mountains Music Festival in March 2013.
- Touring nationally since 2008, including headline ticketed shows pulling 150+
- Completed fifth European tour in Sept-Oct 2011 playing headline shows in Germany, Belgium, France and Switzerland
- European tour shows pulled crowds of 100+ on pre sales alone
- Live performance on WEOTV in Northern France – broadcast to 80,000 viewers – watch on YouTube
- Live to air performances including BBC (UK), NDR Germany, ABC Statewide Queensland, ABC Brisbane, Adelaide, Canberra, Perth, Newcastle and many more.
- Australian airplay on Triple J and ABC National, State and Local including Sydney’s 702 with Richard Glover
- European airplay on commercial stations NDR Germany, Radio Nord Bleu (Northern France), Vivacite (Belgium) & BBC (UK)
- Debut album Feather released independently and to critical acclaim (see quotes below) on Red Shed Records in May 2011
- Released 2 videos – ‘Most of My Life’ (from Feather, video released 2011), over 12,000 views and ‘Feather’ (also from Feather album, release Jan 2012), currently over 3,500 views as well as broadcasts on RAGE
- A selection of Australia’s top musicians played on the album, including bass player Jeff McCormack (Kasey Chambers), guitarist Glen Hannah (‘Musician of the Year 2010’ at the CMAA) and drummer Pete Luscombe (Paul Kelly, Rockwiz)
- Debut EP Wyong River released independently on Red Shed Records in August 2008
- MGM Distribution for both Feather and Wyong River
- Supported artists such as The Jezebels, Kate Miller-Heidke, Shane Nicholson, Harry Manx, Ian Moss, Daryl Braithwaite and Mark Seymour
- Winners of the 2008 ABC Newcastle Award for Best Sound Production for Wyong River EP, which was self produced and recorded in Nick & Liesl’s home studio
- Invited to attend Popkomm (Berlin) in 2009 as part of the Australian Wave and Reeperbahn Festival (Hamburg) in 2011
- Mailing list of over 1,700 and over 1200 Likes on Facebook
OFFICIAL WEBSITE | YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER